Sunday, April 13, 2008

HELL'S KITCHEN


If you love Reality TV, do any cooking or enjoy watching people being called out for ridiculous behavior, HELL'S KITCHEN is for you. World-renowned chef, Gordon Ramsey, is known for his high-class, innovative and sophisticated cooking, but the only people who were aware of that before his highly rated Reality show premiered were those in the know when it comes to all things food. HELL'S KITCHEN is what the title implies, sheer hell in the kitchen for any chef, or aspiring chef, who thinks they can take on the curmudgeonly perfectionist. Personally, I don't know why any of these people put themselves through this type of torture, but I have to say I certainly appreciate it because it provides me with so much entertainment.

The premise of this show is much the same as TOP CHEF. Each week these cheftestants are given a cooking challenge that sees the winners winning prizes like yacht rides and helicopter flights with the esteemed Chef Ramsey. After all the happiness and light of the win wears off, they must go back to Hell's Kitchen to prepare that evening's menu for the guests who come to the restaurant. The contestants are split into two teams, and each week Gordon chooses the team that did the worst job with the night's service and somebody from that team is kicked out of the competition. There is, however, two main differences between HELL'S KITCHEN and TOP CHEF.


First of all, the contestants on TOP CHEF are much more seasoned and trained in the art of cooking, as most of them are already working professional chefs, whereas, on HELL'S KITCHEN they run the gamut from chefs who are just starting out, to the housewife who fancies herself the next Rachel Ray. But, the biggest difference between the two shows is the main attraction, Chef Ramsey, himself. This man thinks nothing of calling his contestants piles of sh-- while crying fu-- me, when they haven't performed to the level he requires. While I would never subject myself to this kind of treatment, I love watching it all unfold with strangers involved. You may find me a horrible person for this, but I must not be in the minority because HELL'S KITCHEN is back for it's fifth season. So, before you judge me, see for yourself and I bet you will become one of HELL'S KITCHEN'S secret admireres!

No comments: